2015. június 22., hétfő

For Those Full of Beans in the Summer Part 1 - Exercises for My Countryside - Dick Strawbridge

My Countryside  - Dick Strawbridge
You are going to read a magazine article about Dick Strawbridge. A childhood spent outdoors gave the presenter a lifelong love of the natural world that he has passed on to his family.
Some parts of the article have been removed. Choose from the sentence chunks A-I and match them with the numbers 1-9.

A./ You don’t need land to lead a more…
B./ The natural world totally fascinated me.
C./ In the holidays, Mum would kick us out…
D./ My pride and joy in those days was my …
E./ The countryside makes you take the time …
F./ I used to go tickling trout when I was a boy.
G./ I became a grandad last year, James and …
H./I had quite a free childhood, but I was …
I./ When my son James was small (he’s now 28),…

Find some expressions, phrases in the text which are equivalent for the definitions provided.


  1. An idea or expression that has been too much used, a stereotyped phrase (paragraph 1)-……………………………………………………..
  2. steal apples from an orchard or garden (paragraph 3)-………………………………………………..………………………………………
  3. An awkward, heavy  or stupid creature  (paragraph 3)- ………………………………..……………………………………………………….
  4. eat hungrily or greedily (paragraph 5) -……………………………………………….
  5. place where monks live as a community under religious vows (paragraph 5) -………………………………………………………………………………..
  6. live without the usual comforts and conveniences of life (paragraph 6) -…………………………………………………………………………………
  7. a type of dog originating in England and Ireland (paragraph 7) - ……………………………………..
  8. put up a tent at a campsite (paragraph 6) -……………………………………………………………...
  9. the ability to provide for oneself without the help of some others (paragraph 8) - …………………………………………………………………………….
  10. include some disadvantages in order to get what you want  (paragraph 8) - ……………………………………………………………………………………..

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése